Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ross????

I have a lot to catch you guys up on, but first let me start with what exactly I'm doing here.

Ross University is a offspring of DeVry Corporation. It's one of the only schools in the Caribbean that's recognized by the U.S. a.k.a. - Ross isn't pumping out quack shack docs but legitimate physicians.

It's an ACCELERATED program. Meaning - what all medical schools in the U.S. have to cover over 4 years we cover in a little over 3 years. Ross does this by cutting our breaks to 2 weeks between semester and cutting our semesters by 1 month. So, instead of doing an Aug - Dec semester we do a Sept. - Dec. semester. Our curriculum follows National Board of Medical Examiners criteria just like any school in the U.S. We take the same standardized test and sit for the United States Medical Licensing Exam (aka USMLE) just like U.S. students.
It's not better it just faster. And because of this, my brain is constantly in work mode and I become socially inept by the time breaks roll around.

So here's the break down:
16 months in Dominica - 4 - 4 semester basic sciences (For me - Jan 07 - April 08)
3 months in Miami - transitional semester where I take the COMP (comprehensive test of my basic sciences) - for me - I take the COMP May 23rd in Miami and start my 5th semester right after
IF - no WHEN - I pass the COMP - I register for Step I of USMLE to take in October. Once I get my scores and I PASS (God willing) - I start my clinical rotations in Dec. 08 for 180 hours of clinicals.
I'll do my clinicals in either Atlanta, New York, or Cleveland (pray for Atlanta).

THEN - I'll sit for Step II at the end of my clinicals and graduate in March 2011.

During this time, Craig (my hubby) and I have been apart but plan on being back together during clinicals.
He visited me this weekend and I have some stories to tell!!! I'll leave you with a few words to describe our weekend: crash, vomit, scar, topless, Gelato.

Til tomorrow!

No comments:

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker