Friday, April 4, 2008

So I've been slacking.....

Yeah - well med school right now is NOT my favorite place. I have an intense two weeks ahead of me so I've been studying, I know, I'm actually studying!! But, I have a bad grade in pharmacology so I need to study in order to pass this semester or you will see Czarina's Journey to Dr. Hounsel become Czarina's Journey to Mommy Hounsel....which wouldn't be so bad :-)

But - in order to appease my fans...all 2 of you...let the countdown continue!!

Reason #23 - I'm thankful for the fact that I eat MEAT. Why? Because in Dominica the COWS run rampant. I had a cow - either giving birth or auditioning for American Idol - right next to my window ALL night. I'll post my cow pics as soon I can.

Reason #22 - I am thankful for Cool Whip.
Cool Whip has become a staple in my diet. Dominica does not have grocery stores. The "grocery" stores are the size of a large living room (if that) and they often carry expired cans of Spam and rice with weebles crawling in them. But, the store next to my apartment has Cool Whip and I AM EXCITED!! I freeze it and eat it as icecream. Put it in my coffee in the morning. Eat a couple of teaspoons (FINE - tablespoons) for dessert....its awesome.

Reason #21 - My cleaning ladies.
A great thing about living here is that almost all apartments have cleaning ladies. I don't do any laundry or clean my apartment. Well - I keep it tidy - but my apartment has ladies who clean it twice a week. Mop, scrub toilets, do dishes...and they do my laundry once a week (granted I pay $10 a week to get it done - but its great since time is something I lack here). Not only that - but they pray for me. They know when I have exams and they are always so encouraging and always know when my next exam is.

Reason #20 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
I often forget that I go to school in the Caribbean so when Craig and I take weekend trips to San Juan, I take for granted that we get to hang out by the ocean and sip cocktails in hammocks. We went to San Juan 3 times the total time I've been here. I've been blessed to have him visit me in Dominica 3 times and that I've gone home 3 times in the middle of the semester. I have some great pics from our time in San Juan so I'll post those soon.

Reason #19- Generators
I am blessed that I found an apartment that has a generator. Here, the electricity turns off at random times. So - if you don't have a generator - you sit in the dark and wait until the electricity turns on - or head somewhere (like campus) - that has a generator. I have battery operated fans, lamps, etc. Can you imagine if I had no electricity and I was trying to study (aka - watch the Gilmore Girls on DVD)!!!!!!! The horrors......

Pics will come as soon as I upload the latest ones I have....

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am so proud of you! I can't believe you are almost a DOCTOR!!! Woo Hoo!! The cool whip post cracked me up. And why don't you like weebles...extra protein is always good! Anyway, I'm happy for you that you are almost done and I wish you luck in your final exams. Hopefully I can see you next time you come home. Love you and praying for you, Heather

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker