Sunday, July 13, 2008

I lost my first patient....


*** Read below to see continuation of the title on this post***
These past couple of weeks have been busy! I am so happy I was able to go home over the 4th of July. It was filled with friends and family - the two most important things EVER!

Congrats, Mom!

My mom became a citizen on the 4th of July - how cool is that!
My niece Sofia turned 2 on the 3rd (and I missed her bday last year since I was in Dominica), my good friend Kristen got married...all this in 3 days! Although I had to cut my time short at most of the things we went to because there is just so much I can do with as little time I had - I was so thankful I was able to be invovled in these momentous events in the people's lives I love the most. What a great time!
Craig hanging with his buds - Pablo and Uniqua!
So Happy! I love you Sofia!
I don't know who was happier in wearing those birthday hats....
I love birthday parties!
Being silly with my parents! I LOVE YA'LL!!
Kristen and Kent! Kent-sten! She was a BEAUTIFUL bride!

This past week has been...interesting. I had another rotation. This time it was family medicine which is a doctor who does a hodge podge of everything - from pediatrics to older adults. Jamie and I got sent to this clinical site with very little information. Hmmm - probably because no one spoke any English. The docs and medical assistants spoke English but the patients did not. So we were warned when we came to Miami to brush up on our Spanish - so we both have our trusty Spanish-English medical dictionary handy. BUT - the patients spoke CREOLE AND FRENCH!
Now Shauna can be my witness - I learned NOTHING the 4 years in highschool French class (except that I have visions of cows and animals walking in the hallways....that's a long story for another post).

Anyhoo - the doctor had a philosophy that the best way for us to learn is for us to do things hands on. I absolutely agree - BUT - we had no way of communicating with our patients! So - the nurses or doc would stick a patient in our room and they had NO CLUE we were medical students, NO CLUE we were about to ask them to do a full physical on them while many of them were just there for follow up visits, and NONE of them were told what we'd be doing.
So - we had to communicate as best we could. Praise God the majority of patients we saw were understanding and my TERRIBLE French got me through the physicals.

Our first patient - VERY interesting - but - we lost him. Literally LOST him. It was our job to walk the patients up to the front after we saw him/her, make sure they had all their paperwork/prescriptions, schedule their next appt, etc. I walked the patient to the front counter - Jamie was behind me - the patient asked the nurse where the bathroom was - he went to the bathroom and NEVER came back. We walked around the urgent care center and couldn't find him. Oops...

My large group lecture this week was interesting as well. We had a 2.5 hour lecture by a SEXOLOGIST!! Yup - Dr. of Sex - we learned about boy and girl parts, boy and girl brains, what happens if the parts don't match the brains, talked about where we liked to be rubbed, and was handed water-based lube, female condoms, Magnums, OH YEAH! Med school is fun :-)

Learning how to put in an IV...yikes

Intubated my first "patient"...

2 comments:

Heather said...

First of all, your niece is precious! The pics were cute. I LOVE the pic of Craig with The Backyardigans! Pablo is Parker's imaginary friend and he lives on our front porch.

Sounds like you are learning a lot in med school. I am still so proud of you. I wish you would blog more often.

Try to keep up with your patients this week! See you soon. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of how smart you are! Really - putting in an IV... yuck!

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker