Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Way to go Rangers! **written way before the World Series**

**The fact that I haven't been able to get pictures off my camera makes this post kind of - meh**
You know when photographers take pictures on wedding days, they are always trying to capture the moment.

You know - THE moment.

I think THE moment that is so powerful is when the groom sees his bride for the very first time.

THE moment when those doors swing open, he sees his life begin for the very first time, and the moment is captured with a single "click" of the camera.

I had a moment - a THE moment last Friday.

I am kind of crazy about my husband. Disgustingly so. Ask anyone who is friends with me has probably rolled their eyes at the nice things I say about him, have gagged at the inappropriate stories I've shared, and wanted to "de-friend" me in real life - not just Facebook life.

He comes from a weird family. Weird meaning - small.

I come from a typical Filipino family - which means siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles...the whole enchilada.

His family is tiny. Just him, his parents and brother. An aunt that never married. No cousins.

Weird....to me.

Normal to him..so his family is pretty tight.

Him and his Dad are two peas in a pod. They are so similar it's funny. Total sports nuts. And that bond of sports is something that he grew up with. Throwing the baseball around, kicking around the soccer ball...and Rangers baseball.

Craig remembers going to Ranger games when he was still just a young buck (show us d'em Antlers!) with his Dad and brother.

He remembers talking Rangers baseball - spouting out names that are unfamiliar to me. He remembers the Nolan Ryan no hitter and seeing it with his Dad.

Even now, Craig, his Dad and brother travel once a year to different ball park to watch the Rangers play. A dude's trip.

So cool.

So last Friday.

The Rangers came back to Dallas for the 6th game of ALCS. If they won this, they would win the Pennant and go to the World Series.

It was time.

A perfect storm had brought the game back to Texas and I was so excited that Craig was going to watch it with his Dad and brother at his parent's house.

Enter in MY Dad.
My Dad is probably the MOST giving person on the planet. He's like a magician - he makes things happen out of thin air. He tries to do everything in his power to make his family happy.

Craig is my family. So, my Dad wanted a way to make him happy.

So he got tickets to the game.

THE game.

The historical game that would send our Texas Rangers to the World Series.

A game that so many in Dallas have waited for.

A win that so many - like Craig and his Dad - have waited for. For over 30 years...it was time.

I was over the moon telling Craig that my Dad got 6 tickets for all of us to go to the game.

He was so excited. Giddy.

Let's rewind a few months back.

My father in law fell ill suddenly and had to have surgery to clear an artery that was blocked. An artery that was so blocked the doctor was amazed he was still functioning.

To Craig, that was a moment he'd never forget. A moment where he gave thanks that they caught the blockage in time.

And now...this moment. This moment where he knew seeing his Texas Rangers play a game to win the Pennant - with his Dad - who is living and breathing with us today. Healthy as a horse.

So, remember THE moment.

I got it.

It was the top of the 9th. Rangers were up 6 -2 on them Damn Yankees.

Feliz had 2 outs under his belt and he was getting ready to strike out A-Rod.

And then he did it.

STRIKE!

Out 3...

The Rangers were going to the WORLD SERIES!

And I "clicked" the camera.

I got THE moment. The moment where the final out was made, Craig, his brother and his Dad, the Hounsel men, making a memory and sharing history.

I got choked up. Because I knew what this moment meant to Craig. I knew it wasn't just about baseball but about him and his Dad getting to store this moment in the good memory file.

Way to go Rangers. Way to go...

1 comment:

etphonehome21 said...

Great. I'm crying. And not even over something you wrote about Iz. About baseball. Thanks a lot.

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker