Thursday, December 3, 2009

Please sign my petition..

...to the Elders of the Dictionary.

I'd like to take the word "just" out of the English language.

According to dictionary.com - here's what they say the word means:

adjective
1. guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
2. done or made according to principle; equitable; proper: a just reply.
3. based on right; rightful; lawful: a just claim.
4. in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct: a just analysis.
5. given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, or reward: a just penalty.
6. in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right: just proportions.
7. (esp. in Biblical use) righteous.
8. actual, real, or genuine.
–adverb
9. within a brief preceding time; but a moment before: The sun just came out.
10. exactly or precisely: This is just what I mean.
11. by a narrow margin; barely: The arrow just missed the mark.
12. only or merely: He was just a clerk until he became ambitious.
13. actually; really; positively: The weather is just glorious.


Ok - so here's my problem with the word. Pretty much every definition defines (is that a double positive??) just as some type of truth - precise - real - or - or actual.

Lately, I'm finding those definitions to be laughably wrong.

Example #1: My incidence with the worst cable company known on the planet - let's call them Thyme Warmer (T.W)....

Lady from T.W. - I'm sorry Ma'am, but it looks like you'll have to have a technician come out to your home to fix the problem.

Me: But this will be the 3rd technician in 4 days. Why didn't they fix it right the first time around?

T.W. - I can't answer that. But, will you be at home tomorrow for a technician?

Me: Yes - I'm a full time mother.

T.W. - Oh ok. Then there shouldn't be a problem - since you just stay at home.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there lady. Use your words and don't use that type of language with me. JUST stay at home? Please, sister. I probably do more in my first few hours of the day than you do sitting at your desk in a week. I don't JUST stay at home. I'm a seeker of good deals, a personal shopper, a healer, a fitness enthusiast that pounds the pavement while you sit in front of your teleprompter, a financier, a chef, a hero...all these things require me to leave my house to go to the store, the bank, the doctor, etc. So - there's no truth in that JUST.

Example #2: Random person who hears Isabelle sneeze and cough.

Random person: Is she sick?

Me: Yes - she's fighting a cold.

Random person: Oh - that's nothing. It's JUST a cold.

WHACK! That's me as I hit him/her with my 40 lb diaper bag. JUST a cold. Ok - I get it. Kids get sick. And I know how incredibly blessed I am for Iz to have something minor like a cold rather than something more serious. But to a mom - any mom - a cold means - late nights, possible fevers, coughs that sound so painful it makes my heart hurt, eyes that are so tired it forces tears from mine, worries of the JUST a cold turning into something worse. So - another JUST wrong...

Example #3: A person I'm meeting at 3:00 PM shows up at 3:45 PM.

Me: Hey - you're 45 minutes late.

Late person: Yeah. Have you been here long?

Me: Yes. I got here at 3PM.

Late person: Ok... I'm JUST a little late

Hold on second. {breathe, breathe, breathe} JUST a little late? You know the kind of lengths moms have to go to get anywhere on time?? I try my absolute best to be on time or early to things. I'm still getting the hang of it but I know that when someone is waiting on me - I don't like keeping them. For me to get on time probably means I took a 2 minute shower, didn't dry my hair, threw on whatever onesie was clean for Iz, drove 80 in school zone and ran red lights. So - JUST a little bit late. W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R....

So - please sign my petition. I'll let the Dictionary people know that we need this word out or the definition needs to be redone. It can't be too hard - its JUST word....

4 comments:

LCFrohm said...

i couldn't agree more.
you should go over to www.mormoninmanhattan.blogspot.com.
back before thanksgiving, she wrote this post about her definition of daily, basic hygiene.
which i am cool with.
but then she came back, and took this "gosh moms, having kids isn't an excuse for not doing all these things every single day."
i wanted to kick her.
the reality of having a child isn't something you can even begin to understand, until you have one.
i love your posts and your whit! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud:)

etphonehome21 said...

Sign me up. And if we're removing words can we do "um". I know I use it but those teenagers drive me nuts! Do I sound like an old mom now or what?!?!

Kim said...

I love how people think stay at home moms just sit around doing nothing all day and how we are so lucky to do that. Ha! My sister told her husband that I was used to being bored b/c I JUST sat at home everyday!!!

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker