Friday, August 21, 2009

So it's not all about me...

I've talked a lot about motherhood and how it's affected me. You've read and read about the trials, the fears, and moments of bliss....but I don't think it's fair for me to take all the credit on why Isabelle is as perfect as she is ;-)

Craig has slowly become the Dad I knew he could be.

I say slowly because I really believe it takes men a little bit of time to really bond with their child. Now, I'm not saying there aren't guys out there to who take to fatherhood immediately, but with mamas and babies - we spend a majority of our time with these little ones in the beginning - so our ability to bond with them is almost inevitable.

Craig would get frustrated when he couldn't soothe her at first. He had a hard time when she would wail and wail and couldn't get our little love bug to stop crying. But...he never gave up. When she would cry and it had been awhile - my first reaction was to reach out my arms to her and "help" him. But, he would turn his back to me and say "No, I need to do this. I need to learn how to calm her down."

And within a few minutes - she would calm down.

I think it's our first instinct as mother's to immediately rush in and "fix" the problem. We want to soothe le bebe as quickly as possible. But, I think we need to remember that it's just as important for our little ones to get to know their Daddy's arms, Daddy's hold, Daddy's voice, and Daddy's hugs.

Craig has been to every doctor's appointment she has had. He even surprised us at her 2 month visit. He didn't think he could make her appointment since it was early in the afternoon - but just as the doctor was starting her exam - in walks Daddy and Isabelle's head turned to the sound of his voice and she flashed her gummy smile!

As I deal with the difficulties of transitioning to being a stay at home mom for at least a few months, Craig is dealing with the responsibilities of sole provider. What a huge undertaking! He sometimes uses his free nights and some weekend hours while Iz is asleep and I'm doing my own thing - to work. He has taken on this responsibility and I am so grateful and so proud of my husband.

Now that Isabelle is more engaged, she is slowly starting to steal his heart! When Craig gets home, he gives me a kiss hello and say's hello to his sweet daughter. The moment she flashes her grin - he's hooked. And sometimes, I catch him and her "talking" and having their own private moments.

I can only hope and pray she realizes how much he loves her and finds a husband someday that is a fraction of the man Craig is.

I never knew I'd be so happy and elated to share his heart with another...but Iz has nuzzled her way into her Daddy's heart...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

He even humored me by letting me put on these dang bows!

Baby Bjorn = FAIL!

all his girls


becoming a natural at this!

If this doesn't melt your heart...you're a machine.

Stolen Moments...perfect

Craig's little Gunner

That's it....he's hooked!

1 comment:

CJAS said...

I really enjoyed your blog :) You have a beautiful family :) I agree with your perspective on dads and babies :)

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker