Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Michael Bolton

He's awesome.

Wow - I just channeled my inner geek. I am also a fan of "Air Supply" and "Ace of Base."

My husband is hanging his head in shame right now...it's not his fault I like good music!

So - Mikey - big Mike - B-man - has this song called " Said I loved You." The song is about lovers and loving a significant other - but the chorus rings in my head when I think about Iz.

Said I loved you but I lied
'Cause this is more than love I feel inside
Said I loved you but I was wrong
'Cause love could never ever feel so strong
Said I loved you but I lied

I didn't know that parenthood would be like this. I really wasn't prepared to feel this much. Even Craig looks at me and just randomly says "Man - I love that little girl." And then goes onto to chronicle a cute event that happened throughout the course of the day.

Sure - you don't feel prepared for so much of being a parent. The early hardships - sleepless nights, the days that drag on and on with tears, the nights that feel longer, the mini-stranger that is now around you and your other - ALL the time. Then the hard part of parenting evolves into a new hard - a mobile kid that gets into everything, full out ear-piercing-wannagetaway-can't-believe-this-is-my-kid tantrums (in the middle of the store...or restaurant...or church) - and you look back and wish for the days of sleepless nights and the early stuff.

But, no one prepared me for the utter and absolute joy. Giddy excitement of parenting - that comes with watching our mini-stranger become a part of - no - complete our little family. There are days when I want to squeeze Bug til she pops - but then realize that's probably not the best thing to do. There are days when I wake up exhausted but find a new hop in my step when I see her little face light up. When I hear her belly laugh are moments that are now the new definition of happy to me.

I didn't get it when friends would have diarrhea of the mouth and drone on and on about their offspring. I would think "It's just a kid - can't be that interesting." Once upon a time - Craig and I even considered not having kids because we were completely happy just the two of us. But, now I get it. I can't wait to share about Iz's new party trick and her milestones are my milestones too. Now "our once upon a time" includes a fun little character - and we couldn't be more pleased with our happy ever after.

Sometimes it feels like my heart is going to burst. Palpitations of excitement when I think about the joy Iz has added to our lives.

Dang parenting is hard. But man - it's so worth it.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how you don't even realize there is a void in your life until you finally have your bundle of joy join you and your spouse. I can't even begin to describe how much my life has improved by having Owen with us. Love you guys!

CJAS said...

loved every word you wrote :) It's all so TRUE :) and by the way I love Ace of Base and Air Supply too . . .no shame :)

Marissa said...

"I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign" . I love your blog!

What a blessing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker